Friday, January 29, 2016

Winterfest, NPOTA and Winter Field Day

Winterfest

Winterfest is the name of the hamfest that is held by the St. Louis Suburban Radio Club (SLSRC) each January. It is always a great time to meet up with friends. Each year I stay longer and longer as I seem to have plenty of folks to talk to. Winterfest was in a different room this year so that messed with some minds and you know how hams love change! I think it worked very well plus this room had carpeting which made it easier on my feet. I bought a Dentron Jr. Monitor which is a 300 watt mobile tuner. I hope to try it out during Winter Field Day. Kudos to SLSRC on a great event!


NPOTA

I have not had much time to spend as a chaser so far with only 15 contacts so far. I hope to put a HF rig in the work truck soon and I plan to work some stations during my lunch breaks. 

I have had some activity as far as being an activator. I will be activating NS73 Ulysses S Grant House again on Feb 20 from 1PM to 4:30PM. I also plan on multiple activations from the Lewis and Clark Historic Trail soon. 

I received an interesting call this week from a person from another NPS unit asking if I would like to come activate their location sometime in the spring. It seems that the NPS folks are talking to each other and getting into this activity. My guess is they are in competition with each other during 2016 to see who can get whatever activity driven into their parks. 

NPOTA should be even better as spring comes and folks can start camping and operating into the night. 



Winter Field Day

I have been spending time on preparing for this event. The last 2 years I have participated from inside the shack but this year I wanted to get outside. I was not able to get a partner for this outing so I will set up the tent and antennas in my backyard this year. Weather shows a high of 60F so it is hard to call it winter but that is out of my control! I plan on operating from batteries with solar panels. Antennas will be a 80 meter dipole and a 2m/440 antenna as I hope to gain some multipliers with those 2 bands. I may put up a 20m vertical depending on how well the dipole does on 10, 15 and 20 meters. The nice thing about operating from home is you have a lot of resources available!

I hope to take a lot of pictures.  


No comments:

Post a Comment