Sunday, June 12, 2016

RV05 NPOTA Activation

The Ozark National Scenic Riverway is located in south central Missouri and covers a large number of square miles. Access from St. Louis is a long drive through a lot of twisting roads. After a 3 1/2 hour drive we arrived at the Alley Mill which is located in Alley Spring MO. This trip was planned mainly using Google Earth as the rules for a scenic waterway is you must operate within 100 feet of the water. I picked the out flow of the Alley Spring before it feeds into the river because these are prime floating and partying area once the weather turns warm and I was hoping that the folks would not be on this section of water. Luckily I was correct and the location worked ok but there was a 100 foot tall rock wall about 125 feet to my east. It is hard to tell if that impacted my signal or not.

I set up in a parking spot that was 40 feet from the waters edge. Operation was from the truck as it was a 95 degree day and there was not much room to set up a table. I was able to operate for 2 hours and 14 minutes and made 134 contacts. 40 meters was my main band but I did make 20 contacts on 20 meters. I could have operated longer but I had a long drive home and this was more of a scouting mission than a long activation.

Equipment used

IC-7100
Power source:  truck
AH-4 tuner
32 foot fiberglass telescoping mast on trailer hitch mount
wire was spiral wound on mast
Samsung Android tablet
Hamlog app
bluetooth keyboard
Pigtail interface from Pignology
Heil BM-10 headset
Homemade PTT switch


Hard to see in the picture above but the tablet is hanging on the steering wheel. The keyboard is below it on a steering wheel tray table. IC-7100 control head is on a cupholder mount. 


PTT switch worked great. Switch is very sensitive so no finger fatigue. 



No comments:

Post a Comment