Monday, January 2, 2017

Final NPOTA Activation NS73 December 31

NS73 Ulysses S. Grant National Historic Site


Back in October as the excitement really seemed to be building for the NPOTA program I decided to apply for a special use permit for the Grant House in St. Louis MO for the final day. My first activation for NPOTA was from Grant House on 1/2/16 so I decided to close the year there also. The permit was granted so the activation was on! 

I invited  Bill-WA0JCO to come by and operate from my truck so he could credit as an activator. He is no stranger to pileup as he has been part of the group that has won MOQP and ILQP in the expedition class. Bill also has been part of the St. Louis station for Route 66 on the Air. He quickly put 120 contacts in the log for 40 meters. 

The call I used was ND9E/0 and I operated 40 meter phone before and after Bill racking up another 130 contacts. We know there were many we could not work as we had a S7 noise level which was the highest noise level I witnessed out of the 4 activations I had at Grant House. We wound up with exactly 250 contacts. I regret that we never made it to 20 meters. 

Vern AE0TT and Kyle N0KTK stopped by for a visit during the activation. It was great talking with Vern, Bill, and Kyle throughout the activation. The weather cooperated with temps around 45F and no rain!

WA0JCO Bill in the pileup!



Picture of the setup

Yep, it is tall!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment