Monday, March 27, 2017

Countdown to Missouri QSO Party/ POTA/ RaDAR run - 4 Days out

Sad to say that I do not have much to report today. My main progress tonight was on the mower which is good but not what I wanted to accomplish today. Enough with the whining.


POTA stands for Parks on the Air and the program is part of the larger WWFF or World Wide Flora and Fauna. These are the spots you see on the cluster that look like IFF-0920 or ONFF-0300. These are park designations and you make contact with them and awards are given to both the activator and the hunter. The US designations have a KFF-xxxx on the cluster. The US program has been around for about a year now but it would have been very confusing to push the new program while NPOTA was happening. The timing was right to start educating folks around the end of last year and to build on the NPOTA momentum. There are over 3000 park designations in the US program alone! Plenty of activations possible. Jason, W3AAX is the administrator for the US branch of the WWFF and does a wonderful job of pulling together volunteers to help manage the workload. He is open to new ideas on types of awards and produces high quality certificates. There is also a very active Facebook group for POTA. I will give an example below on how Jason has combined some awards with RaDAR.





RaDAR stands for Rapid Deployment Amateur Radio. This is a program that originated overseas and now has a US branch of the program. RaDAR has rules setup to encourage quick deployments that require a minimum distance to be traveled between locations and it depends on whether you travel by car, bike or hiking. For example if I was participating in a RaDAR event and I was driving I would have to move at least 5km to reach my next spot. I would encourage people to check out the Google+ community hosted by Greg N4KGL.




So this brings me to my crazy MO QSO Party, POTA and RaDAR plan.

POTA and RaDAR have teamed up on some combined awards that helps promote both groups. The awards are based on how many POTA designations you can activate in a 24 hour period based on the RaDAR rules. So my MOQP plan is based on counties that have POTA locations. I should be able to hit 5 POTA locations each day of the QSO Party.

Saturday

Start at Hawn State Park in St. Genevieve county. KFF-1763
Move to St. Joe State Park in St. Francois county. KFF-1785
Move to Lake Wappapello State Park on the Butler/Wayne county line. KFF-1769
Move to Mingo Wildlife Refuge on the Bollinger/Stoddard county line.  KFF-0377
The last park will be the Trail of Tears State Park in Cape Girardeau county. KFF-1790

I will be driving towards home the last 2 hours of the MOQP operating mobile through Perry, Jefferson and St. Louis counties. My goal is to hit the IL/MO state line right at 11PM which is the end of the MOQP for Saturday. I need to get up early on Sunday for my next day of madness!

Sunday

Start at Robertsville State Park in Franklin county  KFF-1781
Move to Don Robinson State Park in Jefferson county.  KFF-1755
Next to Rt 66 State Park in St. Louis county. KFF-1783
Move to Castlewood State Park still in St. Louis county. KFF-1751
This should put me at 3PM which is the end of the MOQP. 
If I am up to it I will make the short drive to Babler State Park. KFF-1745

That is it for tonight. I will see how tomorrow unfolds. 

1 comment:

  1. You will have your hands full trying to call CQ? CQ MOQSO, CQ PARKS, CQ RADAR CQ WHAT AM I CALLING????? ;)

    ReplyDelete