Thursday, March 30, 2017

Countdown to Missouri QSO Party/ POTA/ RaDAR run - 1 Day out

I took a vacation day to help prepare the truck. It rained on and off for most of the day but I was able to stay busy. The first break in the rain allowed me to tune the 20 and 40 meter resonators. Here are the antennas mounted.

20 meter antenna sweep


40 meter antenna sweep (much more narrow)



I decided to mount a 80 meter Diamond antenna and see how it tuned up. Very narrow banded so I added my Dentron Jr. manual tuner. This will help the 40 and 80 meter antennas to cover the entire phone portion of the band. 

80 meter antenna sweep

Using the RigExpert antenna analyzer with it's "Multi-SWR" mode, it can show you the SWR on 5 bands simultaneously. Here I was only interested in the 20 and 40 meter bands. 



Next was an experiment with a 40 meter dipole which used a product called a Horsefence Antenna. They are produced by KF4BWG in are available in different bands. They are not pretty and would never pass a HOA but they and very broad banded. I forgot to save the sweep but I set it up as an inverted V for NVIS operation. The SWR was 1.6 to 1 or better over the entire phone band. 





The ends of the dipole are 5 ft log broom handles with an adapter on top which gives me tie points for ropes. I have to be able to set this up myself so I worked on the ropes so that they all have D-rings on them and already tied to the tent pegs. Here is a picture of one of the four ropes that are ready to go. Also there is a picture of a very cheap rope tensioning clip I got off of Amazon. 


I do not plan to deploy the inverted V antenna at every spot but I hope that I can use it a couple of times. My schedule only has me at most locations for only 90 minutes. This setup make more sense for a 3+ hour event. 

Final picture is hard to see but I decided that I better guy the 20/40 meter resonators. I used mason string and the smallest bungee cords they make to add a slight tension to them. The mast will move if it hits something. The 80 meter antenna is to the left on this picture. This is my first time running this antenna setup. 


Tomorrow afternoon I have to get it all finished and there are many things on my list left to complete.





No comments:

Post a Comment