Friday, March 31, 2017

Countdown to Missouri QSO Party/ POTA/ RaDAR run - Ready to go!

Today I finished testing the radio, both headsets, logging tablet, keyboard, put the phone chargers in, and setup the voice memories in the IC-7100. I am always surprised how long this process takes. It included 2 of my re-purposed android phones downloading and updating multiple apps. One phone is used mainly for navigation and the other is running the Hamclock app/APRSDroid. I also use 2 voice recorders that pick up the QSO audio as backup devices in case I log something wrong or log while I drive. Usually when driving I search and pounce so after each contact I will say out loud something like "N0KTK at 2220z on 40 meters". The QSO is also logged in on the SD card in the IC-7100 so between the 3 logging recorders I usually can piece together the QSO after the event is over.

Interesting thing happened when I was checking the 2 voice recorders in that one of them showed low battery and I had replaced these batteries in December. So when I went to check the batteries in the recorder the batteries were starting to leak. When I checked the other one they were leaking also. Weird that they both failed that quick. I will now store them with the batteries removed.

After dinner I worked on Google Earth and Maps so I could have a custom map on the tablet for back up purposes or just for the entertainment value. Here is a screen shot of my Saturday locations.


Here are my Sunday locations.

Final picture of the bed of the truck. 



Items left to do:
Put together the food for Saturday
Load IC-706 in truck as a spare
Post my Saturday plans to the POTA Facebook group


Hope to work you during the event!



No comments:

Post a Comment